In­done­sians jailed 15-18 years for rob­bing ship

The Sun (Malaysia) - - NEWS WITHOUT BORDERS -

KU­LAI: Eight In­done­sians yes­ter­day were each sen­tenced to be­tween 15 and 18 years’ jail, and whip­ping, for rob­bing tanker ship MT Orkim Har­mony off Tan­jung Sedili in June last year.

Rus­lan, 63; Kur­ni­awan, 50; Ab­ner Loit, 29; Jhon Danyel De­spol, 39; An­jas, 28; Randy Aditya, 20; Fauji Adha, 28; and Hendry An­daria, 40, had pleaded guilty.

Judge Salawati Djam­bar or­dered the sen­tences to com­mence to­day, with six of them – Ab­ner, Jhon Danyel, An­jas, Randy, Fauji and Hendry – to be given five strokes of the cane each.

The eight had com­mit­ted the of­fence at 12.4 nautical miles east of Pulau Tokong Yu at about 9pm on June 11, 2015.

The charge, un­der Sec­tion 395 of the Pe­nal Code, read to­gether with Sec­tion 397, pro­vides for im­pris­on­ment of up to 20 years and whip­ping.

The ship, with 22 crew on board and car­ry­ing 5,879 met­ric tonnes of RON95 petrol worth RM11 mil­lion, was from the Sun­gai Udang jetty in Malacca on its way to Tan­jung Ge­lang Port in Kuantan when it was hi­jacked, Ber­nama re­ported.

In mit­i­ga­tion, the In­done­sians, who were un­rep­re­sented, said they had fam­i­lies to sup­port and re­gret­ted their ac­tion.

How­ever, the pros­e­cu­tion said the case in­volved se­cu­rity is­sues, had re­ceived wide me­dia cov­er­age, as well as caused the govern­ment al­most RM500,000 in costs, in­clud­ing ex­penses to send the ship back to Kuantan Port in Pa­hang from Viet­nam, where it was found, and to ex­tra­dite the eight from Viet­nam to Malaysia.

The pros­e­cu­tion was con­ducted by six deputy pub­lic pros­e­cu­tors, led by Mo­hamad Abazafree Mohd Ab­bas.

Also present in court was the In­done­sian Con­sul-Gen­eral Wino Su­marno.

In Jo­hor Baru, LOW SOCK KEN re­ported the sus­pects were ex­tra­dited from Hanoi in Viet­nam and flown to the Se­nai In­ter­na­tional Air­port here yes­ter­day.

Malaysian Mar­itime En­force­ment Agency direc­torgen­eral Datuk Seri Ahmad Puzi Ab Ka­har, who headed the ex­tra­di­tion mis­sion, said the sus­pects ar­rived on a com­mer­cial flight at 6.15am.

It was the first time the agency had ex­e­cuted an ex­tra­di­tion to charge sus­pects in court.

Ahmad Puzi said the ex­tra­di­tion was done un­der tight se­cu­rity, with 40 men and of­fi­cers from the agency’s Spe­cial Ac­tion Unit, In­tel­li­gence Branch and Crim­i­nal In­ves­ti­ga­tion Branch.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.