SALT TRAIL PACKING ESSENTIALS
• Gloves are handy as there many parts of the trail that will require you to climb on all fours, and to hold onto roots, trees, vines etc.
• Shoes will get wet multiple times, so ensure you have something hardy. The locals swear by the ubiquitous Adidas Kampung, but go with something you’re comfortable with. If you’re wearing a new pair of shoes, make sure they’re broken in before the trip.
• Malaria tablets, as the danger of malaria is always present. Consult your doctor while planning the trip.
• Mosquito/insect repellent.
• Leech socks are optional. These little vampires are everywhere.
• Snacks for a boost of energy, and to cheer you up when the going gets tough. Keep it simple with chocolate and trail mix.
• Clothes should be kept to a bare minimum, with one set for trekking and another for sleeping.
• Sleeping bag, as temperatures can drop very quickly once the sun goes down.
The most important thing to have on you is a positive and open mind. The trail is a test of mental endurance more than physical strength. Always, always listen to your guide and have fun!