New burial tombs for Saint Lawrence Cemetery in Vittoriosa
The Planning Authority has approved planning permission for the excavation of an additional nine new tombs within the extents of the existing St Lawrence’s Church Cemetery, in Vittoriosa. St Lawrence Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Malta and is situated below the fortification’s St Louis curtain, known by the locals as is-Sur ta’ Pażan.
The approved works will include alterations to the existing cemetery through the addition of the nine new tombs, each comprising of various chambers for burial and the relocation of a number of trees. The new tombs will be excavated within three different zones but still within the limits of the existing committed cemetery. A Waste Management Plan was submitted as part of the application.
Both the Department of Environmental Health and the Environment Resources Authority were consulted during the processing of the application and found no objection subject to a number of conditions.
Prior to the early 19th Century, burials took place in the crypt beneath St Lawrence’s Church. It was only after the gun powder tragedy in Vittoriosa, given the large number of victims, that an urgent need arose for an external burial place. In fact, in 1806, Bishop Labini had authorised the parish priest of Vittoriosa to consecrate the land as a cemetery.