Grade 1 protected Admiralty House building to be restored
The Grade 1 scheduled Admiralty Housebuilding located in Valletta will undergo restoration and rehabilitation works following the granting of a planning permission by the Planning Commission.
The works will include the restoration of the building’s two street facades, situated in South Street and Old Mint Street, internal alterations and change of use from a museum to offices. The project will also include the installation of photovoltaic panels, which will be mounted flat, directly on the roof and will include interventions to make the building accessible to all.
Once the project is complete, the offices will be used by the Attorney General, whose offices are currently located within the Grand Master’s Palace and which will be vacated as part of its regeneration. Furthermore, the artefacts of the museum will be relocated to the Auberge d’Italie which is being redeveloped into the new National Museum of Fine Arts.
The works will be carried out according to an approved Restoration Method Statement and were consented to by the Superintendence of Cultural Heritage and the Planning Authority’s Heritage Planning Unit.
The Admiralty House dates back to 1570 and was remodelled in 1760 as a residence for the Knights of the Order of St John. From 1821 to 1961 it became the residence of the British naval Commander-inChief of the Mediterranean fleet. In 1974 it was inaugurated as the National Fine Arts Museum.