Calais migrant dies after being run over by British driver
A migrant from the so-called Calais “jungle” has died after being run over by a British driver.
The Eritrean migrant was part of a group that were throwing rocks at passing cars on the A16 motorway in a bid to make them slow down so they could climb on top of them, according to French newspaper La Voix du Nord.
The driver, who has not been named, ran over two migrants after swerving to avoid the projectiles.
The male migrant was rushed to hospital but died two hours later. The other, a woman, suffered minor injuries.
A French police spokesman said the driver stopped his car and attempted to the help the group but was forced to flee the scene when they attacked him.
“The driver who was attacked by migrants at the scene of the accident drove off and presented himself spontaneously to border police present at the channel tunnel site,” he said, adding that an inquiry had been launched.
The British driver underwent breath tests for alcohol or drugs. Both were negative.
Pascal Marconville, prosecutor of Boulogne-sur-Mer, said: “(The driver) stopped to try and help the victim but was violently attacked by several migrants and thought it best to leave.” The incident took place at around 8.30pm on Sunday evening. It is understood that the driver has not been arrested and is helping police with their investigation.
The Calais “jungle” is home to an estimated 9,000 migrants and refugees.
Many of them have fled conflict or persecution and hope to claim asylum in France or the UK.
It comes as Bernard Cazeneuve, the French interior ministry, accused Britain of shirking its responsibility for child refugees who are stuck in the camp despite having family in the UK. “I am solemnly asking Britain to assume its moral duty,” Mr Cazeneuve told RTL radio ahead of a trip to London to meet Amber Rudd, his British counterpart.
“There are several hundred unaccompanied minors in Calais who have family in Britain. We are in the process of drawing up a precise list and the British need to live up to their responsibilities - we have lived up to ours.”
Last week a human rights watchdog said it believed the demolition of the camp could take place as soon as October 17.