Marsa claim first vic­tory

Malta Independent - - SPORT -

Marsa 5 Gharghur 3

In a clash be­tween two newly pro­moted clubs Marsa ob­tained their first vic­tory of the sea­son beat­ing Gharghur 5-3 in a spec­tac­u­lar match.

Marsa de­served their vic­tory as they were the bet­ter team, even if they had to wait till the 94th minute to put their minds at rest with a fifth goal.

Marsa could’nt have had a bet­ter start as they took the lead af­ter only 34 sec­onds play when De Melo passed to­wards Lucky Omerou who shot low into the net from an acute an­gle.

Marsa con­tin­ued to at­tack and on five min­utes Gil­bert Martin’s ef­fort sailed over the bar. The Red­blues con­tin­ued to dic­tate mat­ters with Gharghur still un­der shock. On 16 min­utes Omerou went close again with his shot miss­ing the base of the up­right by a whisker.

A minute later, in their first real break, Gharghur drew level when Luke Busut­til beat the off­side trap, drib­bled past goal­keeper Caru­ana be­fore putting at the back of the net.

On 32 min­utes a De Melo free­kick missed the base of the up­right and four min­utes later an­other free­kick on the other end with Wil­liam Bar­bosa’s shot well saved by Caru­ana.

Just be­fore the break Marsa missed a sit­ter when De Melo hes­i­tated all alone in front of goal and was blocked by the Gharghur custodian.

Four min­utes into the sec­ond half Luke Busut­til was brought down by the Marsa goal­keeper and from the penalty spot Muda Fag­beja sent Caru­ana the wrong way.

Marsa pushed ev­ery­thing for­ward and sub­sti­tute Saku­rai missed a sit­ter in front of Val­letta, but Marsa drew level on 57 min­utes. Steve Meilak was tripped by Bar­bosa and from the re­sul­tant penalty Kento Saku­rai scored with a low cen­tral drive.

Two min­utes later Marsa were back in front when Omerou passed to­wards Saku­rai who gave the ball to Gil­bert Martin who fired home a beauty with a shot on the turn.

On 66 min­utes Marsa made it four when Steve Meilak beat the off­side trap and passed to­wards Lucky Omerou who eas­ily slot­ted home. But Marsa’s cel­e­bra­tions were marred when goal­keeper Caru­ana re­ceived a sec­ond book­ing and was sent off. But ten min­utes from time both sets were again equal in numbers when Wil­liam Bar­bosa re­ceived a sec­ond book­ing.

On 83 min­utes Gharghur were back in busi­ness when Muda Fag­beja scored a beauty from an im­pos­si­ble an­gle. But deep in stop­page time Marsa put their minds at rest with a fifth goal when Gil­bert Martin passed to­wards Kento Saku­rai who amde no mis­take in front of Val­letta.

Marsa: R. Caru­ana, L. Scorfna (S. Meilak)(L. Mif­sud), Y. Camil­leri, B. Essiel, A. Si­cali, C. Cu­ta­jar, J. Far­ru­gia, R. Mif­sud. L. Omerou, G. Martin, L.A. De Melo (K. Saku­rai).

Gharghur: Z. Val­letta, L. Galea, J. Briffa, J. Az­zopardi, I. Chir­cop, R. Brin­cat (D. Sciber­ras), L. Busut­til, M. Fag­beja, E. De Lima Ni­co­lau, W. Bar­bosa, L. Vella (G. Sal­iba). Ref­eree: Glenn Tonna

Photo: Jonathan Borg

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malta

© PressReader. All rights reserved.