Cou­ple on trial for abus­ing, killing women

Malta Independent - - WORLD -

A cou­ple ac­cused of lur­ing women to their home in west­ern Ger­many and abus­ing them so badly that two of them died went on trial yes­ter­day, charged with mur­der by omis­sion and bod­ily harm.

Wil­fried W., 46, and his 47year-old ex-wife, An­ge­lika W., were brought into the state court in Pader­born sep­a­rately — the fe­male sus­pect hold­ing a file in front of her face, but her ex-hus­band look­ing at pho­tog­ra­phers and talk­ing with his lawyers.

Au­thor­i­ties started in­ves­ti­gat­ing after the cou­ple called an am­bu­lance April 21 for a wo­man with head in­juries. She died shortly af­ter­ward in a hos­pi­tal and doc­tors alerted po­lice to the signs of abuse.

Pros­e­cu­tors say that the wo­man, who had ap­par­ently an­swered an on­line per­sonal ad, had been held in the cou­ple’s house out­side the town of Hoex­ter for nearly two months and had been made to sleep in an un­heated room on a floor. An au­topsy showed she suf­fered from blows to the head, among other in­juries.

Po­lice have said that An­ge­lika W. then told au­thor­i­ties she’d been in­volved in another wo­man’s death in 2014. After she was killed, that vic­tim’s body was cut up and stored in the freezer, and pieces were re­moved and burned in the cou­ple’s fire­place over time, ac­cord­ing to po­lice. The cou­ple al­legedly used the vic­tim’s phone to con­tinue send­ing text mes­sages to her mother.

Pros­e­cu­tors be­lieve that at least eight peo­ple were abused by the cou­ple in to­tal. One wo­man told in­ves­ti­ga­tors that she was held cap­tive for around three months and phys­i­cally abused.

Wil­fried W.’s lawyer, Detlef Binder, told n-tv tele­vi­sion that his client “was con­trolled over all the years by his ex-wife.”

Pros­e­cu­tors have said that the cou­ple ap­peared to be mo­ti­vated more by power than sex­ual rea­sons.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malta

© PressReader. All rights reserved.