Easy for Qormi

Malta Independent - - SPORT - Um­pires: Um­pires:

Laferla White Hart Qormi Poiatti 1 5

Reno Cre­mona, Ed­ward Hughes

Qormi drew first blood on 11 min­utes when Kyle Mi­callef shot them ahead as a re­sult of a penalty cor­ner ac­tion.

White Hart re­acted with counter at­tacks down the flanks , al­though Qormi en­joyed ter­ri­to­rial ad­van­tage over­all.

On 26 min­utes White Hart equalised when Charlo Sam­mut pounced on a loose ball dur­ing a melee in­side the D and pushed home.

Both teams then did not take ad­van­tage of penalty cor­ners awarded to them and half time was reached with the score un­changed at 1-1.

Af­ter Qormi had hit the post on 43 min­utes it was Mi­callef who notched his se­cond two min­utes later to send Qormi to a 2-1 lead.

The game re­mained a bal­anced af­fair with both teams miss­ing penalty cor­ner op­por­tu­ni­ties un­til Qormi scored two goals in the space of two min­utes – the first on 56 min­utes when Zachary De­gio­vanni scored to send his team into a 3 -1 lead and the se­cond three min­utes later when Juan Sar­cia con­verted a penalty stroke to ex­tend his team’s lead to 4-1.

This killed the game as a con­test and on 65 min­utes John Wil­liams pushed home from close range to reg­is­ter a 5-1 vic­tory for his side.

Ra­bat Young Stars 3 4

Luke Busut­til Leaver; An­dre Ghio

Early on, Shawn Fal­zon saw his goal-bound ef­fort cleared off the line by Young Stars’ de­fence.

Both teams were well mar­shalled de­fen­sively and al­though the game was en­ter­tain­ing, it was not un­til the 18th minute that Young Stars were awarded a penalty cor­ner and saw their ef­fort hit the post.

Ra­bat then missed a cou­ple of chances to go ahead when they failed to con­vert two balls hit di­rectly into the D.

On 34 min­utes Cor­nel­lis­sen Nanko crossed for Luke Borg Costanzi to hook home into the top cor­ner send­ing Young Stars into a 1-0 lead. Al­most im­me­di­ately, Ra­bat were awarded a penalty cor­ner, just be­fore the half time whis­tle blew and their mid­field gen­eral, Kevin Mi­callef, picked his spot to level the score at 1-1.

On 48 min­utes, Young Stars went into a 2-1 lead when Mark Camil­leri blasted into the net as a re­sult of a penalty cor­ner award and they ex­tended their lead when on 52 min­utes Ed­ward Hughes con­verted a penalty stroke send­ing them into a 3 -1 ad­van­tage.

Three min­utes later Borg Costanzi scored his se­cond goal and his team’s fourth af­ter he re­ceived a pin­point pass from Camil­leri’s run down the right flank.

Ra­bat did not give up and on 60 min­utes Char­lot Antonelli rounded Young Stars’ goal­keeper and shot home to re­duce the ar­rears to 4-2. They con­tin­ued to ex­ert pres­sure on the Young Stars’ rear guard but were de­nied on two oc­ca­sions by Young Stars’ custodian James Mizzi. A minute from time, they were awarded a penalty stroke which Christo­pher Bugeja con­verted in style, to fur­ther re­duce the deficit to 4-3 . The fi­nal whis­tle gave Young Stars a nar­row vic­tory in a highly en­ter­tain­ing en­counter.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malta

© PressReader. All rights reserved.