Works Department to pay €204,000 compensation to family of deceased worker exposed to asbestos
The family of a former government worker was given a €204,000 compensation to be paid by the government Works Department Director as the court ruled that the illness which led to the man’s death was caused by exposure to asbestos.
The court heard how Mr Paul Pullicino worked in a government garage servicing vehicles between November 1981 and January of 1983.
As part of his work, the complainant used to be exposed to brake pads dust, which contains asbestos. It noted that the fact that asbestos was dangerous and could cause serious illnesses was a known fact from the beginning of the century.
In his sentence, Judge Silvio Meli said the man was not given any protective vests.
Mr Pullicino was eventually diagnosed with mesothelioma (a type of cancer associated with asbestos) in 2008. He died in 2010 at the age of 46.
In the case which was filed against the government works department, Mr Pullicino’s lawyers explained that the illness from which he was suffering, was caused exclusively because of the place in which he worked when he was much younger.
The court upheld this argument and added that his illness was also caused by negligence and carelessness by the employer, in this case, the Works Department.
The court ordered the government to pay €204,000 in damages to Mr Pullicino’s family.
Lawyer Joe Zammit Maempel appeared for the family.