I was asked to al­ter Nice at­tack re­port, claims cop

The Myanmar Times - - World -

A FRESH cri­sis hit France’s govern­ment when a se­nior po­lice­woman claimed the in­te­rior min­istry pres­sured her to al­ter a re­port into se­cu­rity at the Nice fire­works dis­play where 84 were killed when a man rammed a lorry into the crowd.

In­te­rior Min­is­ter Bernard Cazeneuve – whose ac­count of po­lice de­ploy­ments on the night of July 14 cel­e­bra­tions has al­ready faced ques­tions

– has been the light­ning rod for crit­i­cism over al­leged se­cu­rity failures.

Hav­ing re­sisted calls for his res­ig­na­tion from the far right, the So­cial­ist hit back at the “grave ac­cu­sa­tions” made by the po­lice­woman on July 24, say­ing he would sue for defama­tion.

He later said on tele­vi­sion that he would counter “a vil­lain­ous cam­paign” of lies against him.

San­dra Bertin, who is in charge of Nice’s sys­tem of se­cu­rity cam­eras, said she had been “lit­er­ally ha­rassed the en­tire time of writ­ing”.

“I was asked to change things and asked to send a mod­i­fi­able re­port,” she told a me­dia con­fer­ence.

“Mr Cazeneuve ob­vi­ously be­lieves I am at­tack­ing him per­son­ally. I re­lated what hap­pened.”

She told the Jour­nal du Di­manche news­pa­per she had been pres­sured to de­tail the pres­ence of the lo­cal po­lice at the Bastille Day fire­works event and re­port na­tional po­lice had been de­ployed at two points.

“The na­tional po­lice were per­haps there, but I couldn’t see them on the video,” Ms Bertin told the pa­per, adding that she was or­dered “to put in the spe­cific po­si­tions of the na­tional po­lice, which I had not seen on the screen”. –

Photo: AFP

San­dra Bertin al­leges that she was asked to al­ter a re­port into se­cu­rity at the Nice fire­works dis­play where 84 were killed when a man rammed a lorry into the crowd.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Myanmar

© PressReader. All rights reserved.