More bombs found in tourist towns
THAI police discovered unexploded bombs in three top tourist destinations over the weekend as they searched for clues to a wave of blasts that rocked resort areas and killed four last week.
No one has claimed responsibility for the bombing spree, which hit seven southern provinces on August 11-12 and left dozens wounded, including European tourists.
Police said they know who to blame but have yet to reveal a culprit or suspected motive.
They have ruled out international terrorist groups, calling the attacks an act of “local sabotage”.
“Our investigation is progressing. We know who was behind it,” deputy national police spokesperson Piyapan Pingmuang said, declining to give further details.
Unexploded devices were found and defused on August 14 in two bomb-hit areas – the upscale beach town of Hua Hin and the popular island of Phuket, according to interior ministry permanent secretary Grisada Boonrach.
“It is likely they were intended to explode at the same time of the previous explosions,” she said.
Police said other unexploded devices were found on August 13 in Phang Nga province, which had been struck by bomb blasts and a suspected arson attack the day before.
One man has been arrested over a separate case of arson in Nakhon Si Thammarat province and two men have been held for questioning over the Hua Hin bombings, police said.
A junta spokesperson confirmed that multiple people have been questioned but stressed it was too early to identify them as suspects.
The blasts are seen as an affront to a military government which prides itself on having brought some stability to Thailand since its 2014 coup. –