Boko Haram shows Chibok girls
BOKO Haram released a new video showing at least one of the Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped from Chibok more than two years ago, and called for its detained fighters to be freed.
A father of one of the 218 girls still missing said he recognised his daughter in the video, and a spokesperson for the Bring Back Our Girls movement said he was “certain” of the identities of 10 other girls seen in the footage.
The Nigerian government said it was in touch with those claiming to be behind the undated video, which shows a group of about 50 girls in Islamic dress sitting and standing around a masked man armed with an assault rifle.
The film was issued just days after embattled Boko Haram head Abubakar Shekau denied claims he had been replaced as the leader of the Nigeriabased jihadist group.
A man wearing camouflage gear in the video called on the government to release Boko Haram fighters in exchange for the girls, who were kidnapped in April 2014.
“They should immediately release our brethren in their custody,” the man said.
“They should know that their children are still in our hands,” he said in the video posted on YouTube.
While President Muhammadu Buhari has said the group is “technically defeated”, his government has struggled to find the girls.
This screengrab from an August 14 video on YouTube, purportedly by Islamist group Boko Haram, shows what is claimed to be a fighter at an undisclosed location with girls allegedly kidnapped from Chibok in April 2014.