Youth shot dead in Guinea protest
A YOUTH was shot dead by police during a demonstration in Guinea that saw at least half a million people protest against alleged government corruption, sources said.
Several others were injured in the rally in Conakry to denounce what they said was economic mismanagement by the government of President Alpha Conde.
Opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo said 700,000 people had joined a 15-kilometre procession from the suburbs to 28 Septembre Stadium in the west African nation’s capital on August 16.
Security forces said the number was closer to 500,000.
The dead man, identified as Thierno Hamidou Diallo, 21, was shot in the chest by a police officer “as he was sitting on the balcony of his apartment” in the suburb of Bambeto, his brother Mamadou Dian Diallo said.
An AFP reporter saw the body at the local Mere et Enfant (Mother and Child) hospital before it was transferred to a morgue.
A doctor said a number of injured had been treated at the Dixinn polyclinic, one of whom was in a coma.