Hunger strike for marchers proves just a rumour
RUMOURS that activist Ko Aung Hmaing San will stage a hunger strike aimed at the release of Sagaing Region wood factory worker protesters are not true.
“If I do something, I will announce it first,” the All Burma Federation of Student Unions member told The Myanmar Times on August 19. “And I will set a time frame for the protest … If I have a plan to hunger strike, I will officially announce it on my Facebook page.”
The Sagaing protesters’ situation has not reached a level that warrants a hunger strike, he said. He stands by the factory workers, who are being detained in Yamethin Prison and facing trial in Tatkon Township Court, he said.
The factory workers, who said they were wrongly fired, marched more than 185 miles (300 kilometres) over three weeks from Sagaing Region to Nay Pyi Taw, where they were arrested in May.
“Currently, I am standing by them to provide help for them,” said Ko Aung Hmaing San. Protesters only took to the streets after negotiations failed, he added.
He said he would no longer protest, but seek resolution through negotiation. “We will talk with the relevant government officials, parliament members and other organisations if there is a case related to politics or education,” he said. “If negotiation fails, we will consult each other about what we should do.”
Ko Aung Hmaing San was detained in Thayawady Prison under the U Thein Sein government last year after calling for education reform. He was released after being granted amnesty this year. – Translation by Thiri Min Htun
Ko Aung Hmaing San stands outside Tatkon Township Court on August 19.