UN calls for accountability over Yemen funeral attack
THE United Nations called for swift action to bring to justice the perpetrators of air strikes on a funeral ceremony in the Yemeni capital that killed more than 140 people.
The strikes on October 8 were blamed by the Shiite Huthi rebels who control Sanaa on a Saudi-led coalition which has battled them since March 2015.
“We must do everything possible to ensure the authors of these heinous attacks face justice,” UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said in Paris after talks with French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault.
The envoy said the Saudi-led coalition must publish the results of its probe into the strikes, which also injured more than 525 people.
UN Secretary General Ban Kimoon said the air strikes on a funeral ceremony was a “heartless attack on civilians and an outrageous violation of international humanitarian law”.
“There must be accountability for the appalling conduct of this entire war,” Mr Ban said.
The attack was among the deadliest since the Riyadh-led alliance launched its aerial campaign against Iran-backed Huthi rebels last year.
The coalition, which initially denied any involvement, said it would investigate the incident, after the US said it was reviewing support for the alliance.
The Huthis swept into Sanaa in September 2014 and advanced across much of Yemen, prompting the coalition to intervene in support of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.
More than 6700 people – almost two-thirds of them civilians – have been killed and at least 3 million displaced as the coalition launched military operations in Yemen, according to the United Nations. –