UN announces ceasefire
A CEASEFIRE in Yemen will go into effect for 72 hours starting tomorrow, the United Nations announced.
A cessation of hostilities that first went into effect in April “will re-enter into force on October 19, for an initial period of 72 hours, subject to renewal”, the UN’s special envoy for Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, said.
The announcement comes after Yemeni President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi agreed to the ceasefire on October 17, a day after international calls for a truce.
Mr Ahmed on October 16 said he had been in contact with the Huthi militia’s lead negotiator and Mr Hadi’s government.
The United States, Britain and the UN peace envoy to Yemen urged the warring parties in the country’s civil war to declare a ceasefire.
Saudi Arabia’s impoverished neighbour has been rocked by a deadly war since pro-Iran rebels overran the capital Sanaa in September 2014.
However, the conflict escalated after an Arab coalition, led by Riyadh, launched a bombing campaign against the Shiite Huthi rebels and their allies in March 2015.
The conflict in Yemen has killed almost 6900 people, wounded more than 35,000 and displaced at least 3 million since March last year, according to the UN. –