Saudis foil World Cup qualifier bomb plot
SAUDI authorities foiled a plot to bomb a football stadium during a World Cup qualifying match and dismantled two “terrorist” cells linked to the Islamic State.
The interior ministry said that four suspects from each cell had been arrested.
One of the cells had planned to park a bomb-laden vehicle outside AlJawhara Stadium in the Red Sea city of Jeddah during an October 11 World Cup 2018 qualifying football match between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, the ministry said.
Its members were two Pakistanis, a Syrian and a Sudanese.
The other group had been plotting attacks against security forces and had received orders from an IS leader in Syria, the ministry said.
Its alleged members were based in Shaqra, northwest of Riyadh, and are all Saudis. Six other Saudis were detained and were being questioned over alleged links to the cell, it said.
Since late 2014, the IS has claimed a series of bombings and shootings against Shiites in the Sunni-majority kingdom, as well against Saudi security forces.
In another statement, the interior ministry published a list of nine suspects, eight Saudis and a Bahraini, wanted for their alleged involvement in “terrorist” acts in the eastern provinces of Qatif and Dammam, home to most of the kingdom’s Shiite minority population. –