Four migrants found dead in Malaysia
FOUR Myanmar citizens working at a construction site in northern Malaysia were killed by a group of masked attackers on October 25, according to an official at the Myanmar embassy in Kuala Lumpur.
U Tin Win Aung, a secretary at the Myanmar embassy in Malaysia, yesterday said officials learned of the case through a police report.
“We assumed they were Myanmar citizens because they possessed Myanmar passports,” he said of the victims.
The four workers were employed at a Kota Bharu City construction site doing electric wiring, according to U Tin Win Aung.
He said he was unable to reveal the identities of the deceased workers yesterday.
Kelantan police chief Datuk Dr Ab Rahman Ismail told Malaysia’s Sun Daily newspaper that the workers had reportedly been abducted at the construction site by a group of masked men.
The bodies of the Myanmar workers were discovered buried by undergrowth in Bachok on October 30. The victims, who were in their 20s and 30s, had been stabbed to death. According to the police chief, the murders may have been linked to violence occurring in Rakhine State.
U Thiha Maung Maung, a Myanmar migrant rights activist and a leader of the Sitagu Sayadaw’s support group in Malaysia, told The Myanmar Times yesterday that few migrant workers are employed in the remote area where the bodies were found.
“I assume that the murder case was related to personal problems between the Myanmar migrants and the attackers,” he said.
Myanmar migrant workers have sporadically been the victims of violent attacks in Malaysia, including in July this year, when a group of motorcycle riders killed three Myanmar workers at Penang in a botched robbery.
There are an estimated 500,000 to 700,000 Myanmar migrant workers living in Malaysia, most of them without legal documents.