Hun­dreds of fire­fight­ers called to put out show­room blaze

An elec­tronic fire be­lieved to have been trig­gered by an over­heat­ing elec­tric breaker yes­ter­day caused in­juries to seven fire­fight­ers and in­flicted an es­ti­mated K20.7 mil­lion worth of dam­ages.

The Myanmar Times - - Front Page - ZAW ZAW HTWE za­wza­whtwe@mm­times.com

SEVEN fire­fight­ers were in­jured and tens of mil­lions of kyat lost in a blaze at an elec­tronic show­room in Mayan­gone town­ship yes­ter­day, ac­cord­ing to Myan­mar Fire Ser­vice Depart­ment of­fi­cials.

Al­though they had been trained as to how to put out an elec­tronic fire and there were enough fire ex­tin­guish­ers, the staff of the Beauty and Liv­ing show­room on Pyay Road were not able to stop the flames, ac­cord­ing to Yan­gon Re­gion Fire Brigade Depart­ment deputy direc­tor U Thaw Tar.

“I saw the smoke and staff run­ning out of the show­room at about 11am,” a se­cu­rity guard told The Myan­mar Times. “They are all afraid of the fire. I re­ported it and more than 30 min­utes later fire en­gines ar­rived and they started to dis­tin­guish the fire.”

By 12:08pm, more than 430 fire­fight­ers had ar­rived to bat­tle the flames, U Thaw Tar said.

“There were not many en­trances and the rooms were en­closed,” he said. “We man­aged to en­ter the build­ing by break­ing glass. Some fire­fight­ers were in­jured by the bro­ken glass.”

By 5:47pm, the fire was com­pletely out, U Thaw Tar said.

Fire brigade of­fi­cials told the me­dia that there is an es­ti­mated K20.75 mil­lion (US$16,000) worth of dam­age to the build­ing and the fur­ni­ture.

The cause of the fire was de­ter­mined to be an over­heat­ing elec­tric breaker.

One of the in­jured fire­fight­ers was sent to the hospi­tal with a large gash that needed bind­ing and pos­si­bly stitches, said Red Cross So­ci­ety of East Dis­trict direc­tor U Kyaw Zaw.

About 70 mem­bers of the Red Cross So­ci­ety re­sponded to the fire to help wounded fire­fight­ers.

PHOTO: ZAW ZAW HTWE

Photo: Zaw Zaw Htwe

A fire­fighter is as­sisted by a vol­un­teer af­ter be­ing cut by glass shards at the site of a fire yes­ter­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Myanmar

© PressReader. All rights reserved.