Colombia and FARC to sign new accord
COLOMBIA’S government and FARC guerrillas will sign a new peace accord today, after a previous agreement to end their half-century-old war was defeated in a referendum, both parties said.
The new, revised accord will be submitted to Congress for approval, rather than put to another referendum, they added.
Last month voters taking part in that referendum surprisingly snubbed the first accord. Critics said it went too easy on the rebels, who have been waging what is now Latin America’s last major insurgency.
“The government and FARC delegations have agreed to sign the final agreement to end the conflict and build a stable and lasting peace,” negotiators from both sides said in a statement on November 22.
The accord will later be submitted to Congress for its approval, the two sides said. The government holds a majority in the legislature.
President Juan Manuel Santos insists the new proposal is stronger and takes into account changes demanded by his political opponents.
However his chief rival, ex-president Alvaro Uribe, has rejected even the revised deal.
Mr Uribe has insisted, for instance, that FARC leaders should not be allowed to run for office while still serving sentences for atrocities.