Suspects arrested in connection to Yangon explosions
A manhunt has led to arrests after a series of blasts in the commercial capital this month, with explosions targeting two government offices and two retail outlets. While the Yangon Police Force announced on Facebook that three men have been arrested, the post was later deleted and officials remain mum about the detainees.
POLICE have reportedly arrested suspects linked to a series of explosions in Yangon this month, but law enforcement officials remain tightlipped about the number of detainees and their profiles.
A manhunt was launched after two explosions were detonated in the compound of the Yangon Region government office on November 25. No one was injured, but it was the fourth such incident in just over two weeks.
The following day, the Yangon Police Force announced on its Facebook page that three men had been arrested the night prior in connection with the latest incident, though the post was deleted a few hours later.
Authorities have since declined to field media inquiries on the explosions, the status of their investigation and any suspects that may have been apprehended.
The AFP and Xinhua news agencies, quoting anonymous police sources, have reported that three suspects were nabbed after being found in possession of bomb-making materials in Thingangyun township.
The AFP report said police detained the men, who confessed to involvement in the explosions, on November 25.
“The three suspects have already been arrested with a bomb-making kit. They are Muslims,” a police officer told AFP.
Quoting the anonymous officer, the AFP report said police were still investigating whether the suspects had links to “terrorists” in Rakhine State, an apparent reference to an ongoing campaign by security forces to root out suspected perpetrators of October 9 attacks on border guard posts in the north of the state.
An officer from the Yangon Western District Police Force said yesterday that suspects were remanded into custody on November 27, but the officer declined to name which court they had appeared before or reveal the number of suspects being held.
Police have said all of the explosions have involved similar crude explosive devices made up of metallic energy drink canisters and chemical liquids.
No one was injured or killed in any of the incidents.
Prior to the explosions at the Yangon government office, four small blasts occurred at the South Dagon township immigration office on November 24.
Similar incidents targeted retail outlets in the commercial capital earlier this month.
The first occurred at Ocean Super Centre on the corner of Pyay Road and Taw Win Street in Mayangone township. Two blasts, one in the ground-floor men’s restroom and one in the complex’s car park, occurred in the evening of November 17, according to the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar.
On November 20, four “homemade explosives” were set off at Capital Hypermarket in Dawbon township.
Police seal off the premises around the South Dagon township immigration office after a series of blasts on November 24.