Hutspot: Carrot and Potato Mash
Preparation: approx ½ hours, stewing: 2 hours
• 400 g / 14 oz marbled braising steak
• 75 g / 3 oz butter
• 4 onions, peeled, 2 sliced and 2 finely chopped
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 teaspoon dill seeds or
• 1 tablespoon fresh dill
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• 750 g / 1 ½ lb floury potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
• 750 g / 1 ½ lb carrots, peeled and sliced
• Cut the meat into cubes. In a large casserole, heat the butter. On high heat, brown the meat on all sides. Add the finely chopped onions and continue frying. Add a little water, the bay leaves, dill, salt and pepper and cover. Simmer for 2 hours until meat is tender.
• Cook the potatoes, carrots and sliced onions in a little salted water for about 25 minutes until tender.
• Drain the potatoes and vegetables and mash everything to a fine puree.
• Add the braised meat and some of the braising liquid to the vegetables and mix until a smooth thick ‘stamppot’. Season to taste and serve the remaining braising liquid separately. Dutch cooking today, Kook ook, 8,99