Push for bridge lanes
More than 5000 people have signed up to support adding a cycleway and walkway to the Auckland Harbour Bridge.
But Transit says the project is unaffordable and other options are still being considered.
The Get Across campaign, organised by Cycle Action Auckland and Walk Auckland, wants the lanes built as part of strengthening work in July.
Cycle Action Auckland chairman Bevan Woodward says Transit’s position is disappointing.
“It’s disheartening to see the Transit board so reluctant to commit themselves in light of the snowballing support. We get a sense of great support for this, but there’s incredible frustration at Transit’s lack of interest in making it happen.”
The walkway and cycleway has the support of the Auckland city, North Shore city and Auckland regional councils.
But papers obtained under the Official Information Act show Transit decided not to proceed with the project in September last year. That decision was made before releasing the results of a feasibility study showing a walkway and cycleway was possible.
A Transit spokesman says the strengthening work includes provision for a pedestrian-cycleway to be added to the bridge in the future.
Although the project is currently unaffordable, Transit recognises the strong interest in other options.
“Transit is working with its local authorities on options for providing for pedestrians and cyclists who wish to cross the harbour.”
Mr Woodward says the group has asked to present its case to a Transit board meeting.
It has also applied to walk and cycle over the bridge as part of World Environment Day on June 5. Visit www. getacross. org.nz.