MAGS win stirs up the dust

Auckland City Harbour News - - Sport - By Jeremy Ruane

Mt Al­bert Gram­mar School caused a huge up­set in Chatham Cup soc­cer on Mon­day.

They came from 4-3 down, to up­stage first di­vi­sion out­fit Fen­ci­bles United 5-4 at River­hills Do­main.

Hav­ing seen his sixth minute penalty saved by Jay Christensen, MAGS’ Mark Withers opened the scor­ing seven min­utes later.

But within 90 sec­onds, Fen­ci­bles were on top with cour­tesy goals from Norm Archery and Zane Christensen.

The home team edged fur­ther ahead in the 22nd minute through Sean Gill­ham, but found them­selves back on level terms just three min­utes later, thanks to Zane Sole’s penalty and a Jonathan Raj goal.

Fen­ci­bles United re­stored their ad­van­tage once more in the 32nd minute, as Christensen struck his sec­ond goal, but Raj equalised for MAGS a minute be­fore the half­time whis­tle.

In­cred­i­bly, the score line re­mained un­changed un­til seven min­utes from time, when Sole struck again to put Mags in front for the sec­ond time in the game.

Even then, the drama wasn’t over, as Christensen was de­nied his hat-trick by a hand­ball de­ci­sion in the dy­ing min­utes.

There may yet be a fur­ther twist to the tale with the school­boys’ tri­umph un­der protest.

It’s al­leged that a MAGS player who was sent off in a reg­u­lar sea­son match played in this tie, which, if proven to be the case, will see Fen­ci­bles ad­vance to the last 32.

The protest was still un­der con­sid­er­a­tion as we went to press.

Mean­while One­hunga Sports also found suc­cess, down­ing Waiuku 2-1, while cup hold­ers Cen­tral United mauled Ora­tia United 9-2 at Parrs Park, led by a Dave Rich­mond hat-trick.

And Metro also kept the cen­tral Auck­land flag fly­ing, ac­count­ing for Taka­puna 3-1 at Al­bie Turner Field.

Un­for­tu­nately luck wasn’t on the side of many other cen­tral teams with Melville United tak­ing out Bay Olympic 1-0 at Keith Hay Park and Pa­p­a­toe­toe edg­ing ahead of a nine-man Three Kings United 1-0 in ex­tra time.

Mean­while, East­ern Sub­urbs came from be­hind to beat Lynn-Avon United 2-1 at Ken Maun­der Park, while East Coast Bays over­whelmed Mt Al­bert-Pon­sonby 5-1 at An­der­son Park.

Ties in the next round take place on June 14 and 15, with the draw to be re­leased pend­ing the out­come of Fen­ci­bles’ protest against Mt Al­bert Gram­mar.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.