Fire dam­ages Water­view flat

Auckland City Harbour News - - News -

A cig­a­rette has been blamed for a blaze that se­verely dam­aged a Water­view flat on Wed­nes­day morn­ing last week.

Two peo­ple es­caped un­hurt from the Hous­ing New Zealand prop­erty af­ter fire broke out just be­fore 3am.

Fire safety of­fi­cer Ray Cole­man says the blaze was ini­tially treated as sus­pi­cious, but now ap­pears to be the re­sult of a cig­a­rette.

“It would ap­pear the cig­a­rette was ac­ci­dently dropped into cloth­ing,” he says.

The kitchen and liv­ing area was en­gulfed in flames when fire crews ar­rived.

Mr Cole­man says the fire was stopped from spread­ing to neigh­bour­ing homes in the block of flats.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.