Lucky escape for owner of laundry
A laundry owner is lucky to be alive after being trapped behind a locked door in a burning building.
The man, who was sleeping on the premises, tried to flee the blaze through a downstairs exit.
But he didn’t have keys to the deadlocked door and couldn’t return through the flames to retrieve them.
He was rescued by firefi arriving on the scene and taken to Auckland Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
Fire safety officer Roy Warren says the man had a lucky escape.
“We’re lucky we’re not dealing with a fatality,” he says.
The Fire Service was called to the blaze at 10.30pm on Saturday at the Olympic Commercial Laundry in McKelvie St, Ponsonby.
Mr Warren says the cause of the blaze is still being determined, but he’s satisfied the fire is not suspicious.
Theories the fire resulted from a meteor shower reported over the North Island have also been discounted.
The two-storey building has been largely destroyed, but an adjoining factory was saved by a fire wall.
The laundry business handled mostly hotel and restaurant linens.
Cleaning chemicals on site were stored well away from the origin of the fire, Mr Warren says.
Search for clues: Fire safety officer Roy Warren looks over the remains of the Olympic Laundry business in Ponsonby.