Fam­ily and friends wait and hope at Shee­tal’s bed­side

Auckland City Harbour News - - News - From P1

As she came out of the in­duced coma, doc­tors be­gan check­ing what she could do. She was able to squeeze a hand when asked to do so.

Mr Chand says the swell of sup­port from fam­ily and friends fill­ing the hospi­tal ward has been com­fort­ing. Al­most 120 peo­ple vis­ited them in hospi­tal on Tuesday.

Shee­tal’s sis­ters Sharleen, 5, and Sh­weta, 10, were told about the ac­ci­dent at school that morn­ing and have been stay­ing with their grand­par­ents while their par­ents are at the hospi­tal.

The girls vis­ited her on Tuesday and will go back to hospi­tal ev­ery day she is there.

Sh­weta says it was scary see­ing her play­ful and smart sis­ter in a coma. They have been pray­ing for her.

“She is the most beau­ti­ful one out of all of us,” she says.

Sharleen looks for­ward to hav­ing a fam­ily photo taken for the news­pa­per when Shee­tal comes home.

“She’s go­ing to teach me to dance,” she says.

Po­lice are still in­ves­ti­gat­ing the crash and were hop­ing to speak to the driver and sev­eral wit­nesses yes­ter­day.

They were still look­ing for a boy who was the sole pas­sen­ger on the bus at the time. He is de­scribed as a fair-skinned male of large build, about 12 or 13 years old and wear­ing blue shorts and a light blue top.

“We don’t know where he was on the bus, we just know he was on the bus,” says se­ri­ous crash unit sergeant Matthew Ford.

“When you know some­one’s been in the im­pact ve­hi­cle it’s nice to hear what they’ve seen.”

The boy got on the bus at Mt Welling­ton High­way just be­fore the Count­down su­per­mar­ket and was trans­ferred to an­other bus af­ter the col­li­sion. Mr Ford says ear­lier re­ports that the bus driver had car­ried on with his route were in­ac­cu­rate.

“He stopped at the time and waited for the am­bu­lance and gave his de­tails to the peo­ple that were there. He didn’t do any­thing il­le­gal,” he says.

The driver did leave the scene but the po­lice lo­cated him shortly af­ter­wards through the bus com­pany, Waka Pa­cific.

Sus­pended while in­ves­ti­ga­tions con­tinue, he is be­ing sup­ported by col­leagues, fam­ily and friends and has been of­fered coun­selling.

Waka Pa­cific op­er­a­tions gen­eral man­ager Zane Full­james says the com­pany is “ex­tremely con­cerned” and their thoughts are with the fam­ily.

“A full in­ves­ti­ga­tion is un­der way and is be­ing given pri­or­ity.”

The bus is now at a se­cure stor­age yard where it will be fully in­spected.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.