Fire at backpackers
Smoke detectors could have given occupants at a city backpackers early warning of a fire that broke out in the roof area, say investigators.
Fire safety officer Russell Dickson says the early Monday morning fire at City Travellers on Anzac Ave started in an area above the attic studio and was unfortunately above the sprinkler system.
It wasn’t until the heat of the fire spread down to piping that the system went off, he says.
Twenty fire trucks attended the scene and the sprinklers managed to contain the fire, although one fire truck stayed until daylight.
Everyone was evacuated unhurt and had to spend several hours on the street before being able to go back inside to some of the areas.
The building was damaged by smoke and water.
“When the building was built it was an era where the engineering world said sprinkler systems are the way to go and you don’t need smoke detectors,” says Mr Dickson.
A person in a neighbouring building called in the fire at 12.45am before the sprinklers had gone off, he says.
An electrical inspector was called in to help work out the cause of the fire, which has yet to be determined.
In the meantime, City Travellers shift manager Ahmed Sayed says all the guests were unharmed and the company is able to accommodate them at its various properties in Auckland.
“We will make sure everyone is satisfied.”
He says the fire has not caused too much damage and the most important thing was the safety of the guests.