Sunbed sur­vey shows de­crease

Auckland City Harbour News - - NEWS -

A sur­vey by the Min­istry of Health has re­vealed a 46 per cent re­duc­tion in the num­ber of sunbed op­er­a­tors in Auck­land.

As­so­ciate Health Min­is­ter Jo Good­hew says pub­lic unit health staff vis­ited 144 so­laria op­er­a­tors last year be­tween July 1 and De­cem­ber 31.

The in­au­gu­ral sur­vey was con­ducted to mon­i­tor com­pli­ance with key as­pects of the so­laria stan­dards as well as pro­vide in­for­ma­tion about safe prac­tices.

Mrs Good­hew says many of the units noted a sig­nif­i­cant de­crease in the num­ber of places of­fer­ing com­mer­cial sunbed ser­vices.

In Auck­land the num­ber of op­er­a­tors has de­creased from 73 to 39 since 2009.

‘‘One of the re­ported rea­sons for op­er­a­tors no longer of­fer­ing sunbed ser­vices was the dif­fi­cul­ties com­ply­ing with the stan­dard,’’ she says.

‘‘Skin can­cer is the most com­mon can­cer in New Zealand and it’s pleas­ing to hear some op­er­a­tors who are not meet­ing best prac­tice have vol­un­tar­ily cho­sen to stop pro­vid­ing com­mer­cial sunbed ser­vices,’’ Mrs Good­hew says.

The re­sults are to be pre­sented at the Me­lanoma Sum­mit in Welling­ton to­day, which will be at­tended by health pro­fes­sion­als from around the coun­try.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.