Saved by alarm

Auckland City Harbour News - - NEWS -

A man was taken to hos­pi­tal last Fri­day after set­ting fire to the chair he was sit­ting in. Pon­sonby fire sta­tion of­fi­cer Shane Olsen says the blaze started when the man fell asleep hold­ing a cig­a­rette. An­other res­i­dent of the lodge where he lived on Great North Rd, Grey Lynn, man­aged to put the fire out. Two fire ap­pli­ances at­tended. The man was taken to Auck­land City Hos­pi­tal but was un­in­jured. ‘‘This sort of thing is an ev­ery­day oc­cur­rence. Just be care­ful with smok­ing. This guy did have a work­ing smoke alarm which alerted some­one else and that is good,’’ Mr Olsen says.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.