Coro­ner re­ports

Auckland City Harbour News - - NEWS -

The death of an Ethiopian woman in an Auck­land house fire has prompted a coro­ner to rec­om­mend a new alarm sys­tem for im­mi­grants who use fire or in­cense in the home.

Meme Tsige Wold­ey­sus, who died in De­cem­ber 2011, was be­lieved to have held cof­fee cer­e­monies at her house in Water­view, and may have dis­con­nected the smoke alarms to do so.

She died two weeks af­ter mov­ing into the Hous­ing New Zealand prop­erty with her 5-yearold son.

A re­port from Coro­ner Katharine Grieg says Ms Wold­ey­sus, a re­cent im­mi­grant to New Zea- land, was alone in the house at the time.

When the fire was ex­tin­guished, Ms Wold­ey­sus was found dead. An au­topsy found she died of smoke in­hala­tion.

There were no work­ing smoke alarms in the prop­erty. One was dis­abled and an­other was placed in a cup­board.

Ms Greig says there was ev­i­dence Ms Wold­ey­sus held Ethiopian cof­fee cer­e­monies that in­volved roast­ing beans over hot coals in a bra­zier and the use of in­cense and this could ex­plain why the smoke alarms were tam­pered with.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.