Moth­balls re­moved from sale

Auckland City Harbour News - - NEWS -

Moth­balls are re­moved from shelves be­cause poi­son­ing risk to dren.

All moth­ball prod­ucts, in­clud­ing moth flakes, are be­ing taken off the mar­ket be­cause they con­tain toxic chem­i­cals which could be fa­tal if eaten or in­gested.

The Min­istry of Health is warn­ing peo­ple to re­turn any moth­balls they have or throw them away.

Moth­balls are used mainly when stor­ing clothes and other ar­ti­cles vul­ner­a­ble to dam­age from mould or moth lar­vae.

There have been no deaths in New Zealand at­trib­uted to moth­balls but two peo­ple on av­er­age re­quire hos­pi­tal treat­ment for eat­ing moth­balls or flakes ev­ery three years.

Most of these cases are chil­dren un­der four years of age.

Moth­balls and flakes are banned in Europe and are only avail­able in Aus­tralia in a form that pre­vents them be­ing swal­lowed or eaten.

Sim­i­lar prod­ucts are not avail­able in New Zealand and would need to be as­sessed by the En­vi­ron­men­tal Pro­tec­tion Agency be­fore they could be im­ported or man­u­fac­tured. be­ing

the of a chil-

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.