Un­watched pot sparks res­cue of doggy duo

Auckland City Harbour News - - NEWS - By EMMA WHIT­TAKER

Two small dogs had a lucky es­cape when they were res­cued by fire­fight­ers from a smoke­filled apart­ment.

The dogs were inside the St Mary’s Bay apart­ment when their own­ers went out on Septem­ber 6, leav­ing a pot on the stove.

Neigh­bours called emer­gency ser­vices at 5pm.

‘‘We could hear a smoke alarm go­ing off and a small dog yap­ping from inside but we knocked on the door and got no re­sponse,’’ a neigh­bour, who didn’t want to be named, says.

Fire­fight­ers had to break down the door to get in.

‘‘It was full of smoke and the guy who went in had to wear breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus,’’ Pon­sonby Fire Sta­tion of­fi­cer Grant Ray says.

One dog was car­ried out and handed to neigh­bours.

‘‘The dogs look ter­ri­fied, they were shak­ing,’’ the neigh­bour says.

When the own­ers of the dogs ar­rived home they were con­fused and

the woman pan­icked, says.

‘‘They said they have two dogs and started look­ing for the other one.’’

A fire­fighter went back into the apart­ment to get the other dog.

Both dogs were un­in­jured and there was lit­tle dam­age to the apart­ment.

‘‘The most dam­age was caused be­cause we had to kick the door in,’’ Ray says.

Fires from unat­tended cook­ing are common, he says.

‘‘Al­ways look when you cook and make sure you have work­ing fire alarms.’’

The neigh­bour is con­cerned at the lack of ac­tion by oth­ers who must have smelled the smoke and heard the alarm but did noth­ing about it.

The fire ser­vice is com­mend­ing those who did call 111.

Visit auck­land­c­i­ty­har­bour news.co.nz and click on Lat­est Edi­tion to see a video of the res­cue.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.