Group rallies help for devastated Nepal
As earthquakes continue to rattle Nepal a Grey Lynn organisation is doing its part to help.
A magnitude 7.3 earthquake struck Nepal on May 12, bringing down buildings and adding a further 66 deaths to the April 25 quake that left more than 8000 dead.
Ananda Marga New Zealand in Grey Lynn is working hard to provide food, medical care, and shelter to those affected by the devastating quakes.
Regional co-ordinator Da’da’ Shuddha’ Tma’nanda says they are trying to give aid any way they can.
‘‘We have a responsibility to give physical help and spiritual help to those who are in need,’’ he says.
Ananda Marga is a global spiritual and social service organisation which is working in other centres across New Zealand too. Members have raised more than $1800 so far, $700 coming from the Grey Lynn centre.
Tma’nanda, from Grey Lynn, says every little bit helps.
More than 100 volunteers are in Nepal helping distribute aid.
With scarce drinking water and food available Ananda Marga has set up relief camps in eight earthquake-effected districts across Nepal.
Food parcels, tarpaulins and medical treatment has since reached thousands of people.
‘‘In Nepal everything is broken,’’ co-ordinator Victor Filbry says.
‘‘[Our volunteers] buy food and supplies in India and send them across the border to help.
‘‘They are working all hours of the day and night.’’
Thousands of people have already received help from donations out of Auckland but Tma’nanda says there is still a long way to go.
As a non-governmental organisation 90 per cent of what is raised will go towards helping those affected by the earthquakes, with the remaining 10 per cent used for transporting volunteers.
Medical teams from Ananda Marga have already treated more than 7000 people.