Fireworks display sparks concerns
Auckland Council will change the way it notifies the public of large fireworks displays after an event did not go down well with residents last week, a councillor says.
Residents expressed concerns about a lack of public consultation following an inner city commercial fireworks display in Auckland’s Viaduct at about 10.30pm last Monday.
The pyrotechnic display was part of a private corporate event at the ANZ Viaduct Events Centre. Auckland Council will not disclose who the corporate organiser was. The timing of the event, so long after Guy Fawkes and on the same day as the Kaikoura earth- quake, was considered strange and insensitive.
Meadowbank resident Melody Taylor wondered why Auckland Council did not tell residents about the display, especially given it was quite late. ‘‘It is so disturbing and disruptive to animals and bird life, not to mention my baby,’’ Taylor says.
Orakei councillor Desley Simpson says while local boards are notified by Auckland Council of planned fireworks in their area, local boards outside the area are not. Simpson says there will be changes to the way future events are notified. ‘‘When an event that obviously impacts neighbouring boards and wards is permitted, notification will be extended to these local boards,’’ Simpson says.
The corporate fireworks display in central Auckland last Monday was heard in many suburbs.