Auckland to get 34,000 new homes
The government says it will build more than 34,000 new houses in Auckland over the next 10 years in response to what it calls the city’s ‘housing challenges’.
The Crown Building Project will replace 8300 old, rundown houses in Auckland with new houses, 24,300 of which would be built by Housing New Zealand through their Auckland Housing Programme.
Minister for Social Housing Amy Adams announced the next steps in the Government’s social housing plan for Auckland on Tuesday afternoon at a Property Institute event.
The houses will be divided between 13,500 newly built social houses and 20,600 affordable market homes.
The Government said its housing stock was old, cold and expensive to maintain and in urgent need of upgrading and replacement.
The first houses in this programme were built in July last year.
The houses planned for the programme will be a mix of apartments, houses and terraced housing.
Half of the houses would be two-bedroom homes as that was an area of real need, Adams said.
They would be tailored for the elderly and those with disabili- ties.
Adams said this was a significant undertaking for the government and for taxpayers.
‘‘It’s the equivalent of threeand-a-half new houses on every street across Auckland.’’
She said the houses would be for the most vulnerable families and for first-home buyers as well as the wider market.
The houses were planned for areas like Northcote, Hobsonville Point and Tamaki.
Phase one of the plan would cover the next four years and cost $2.23 billion.
It would be funded through Housing NZ.
New borrowing of $1.1 billion has already approved by government.
Phase two would be funded through the programme’s market housing development and rental returns.
Housing New Zealand would retain dividends and proceeds from state house transfers to help fund the programme.
On Sunday Labour Party leader Andrew Little announced his party would be clamping down on tax loopholes to even the playing field in favour of first home buyers.