PICK OF THE BUNCH
1. Bargain buy 2016 VILLA MARIA PRIVATE BIN HAWKE’S BAY ROSÉ $15
Barbie pink but all seriousness when it comes to aromas and flavours. Multi gold medal winning, with juicy strawberries, watermelon and redcurrants. Fresh and flavoursome, this is an absolute bargain.
2. Central stunner 2016 JUDGE ROCK CENTRAL OTAGO PINOT NOIR ROSÉ $25
A deliciously sophisticated rosé from a small family winery in Alexandra. Dry, linear but with a generous nature, this is a textural, lengthy wine to be savoured. Enjoy with fresh salmon sashimi.
3. Flash fizz 2006 CHAMPAGNE PERRIERJOUËT BELLE EPOQUE ROSÉ $360
Rosé is as good an excuse as any to push the boat out, and you can’t do much better than this. It's sublimely complex, ethereal and energising, not to mention beguilingly pretty. There’s also the slightly cheaper P-J Blason Rosé at $120, but it’s hard to go past that beautiful bottle for a true treat.
4. French flair 2015 CHATEAU ROUBINE CRU CLASSÉ PROVENCE ROSÉ $33
Pale onion skin in colour but packing plenty of punch in flavour, this is a vibrant, spicy example of a classic French rosé style. Time to break out the salade Niçoise recipe!
5. Rosé rapture 2016 ABBEY CELLARS ‘PASSION’ HAWKE’S BAY ROSÉ $20
From a boutique Hawke’s Bay producer in the esteemed Bridge Pa Triangle sub-region, this is a weighty blend of merlot and malbec; dark-fruited and spicy with charm and poise.