PICK OF THE BUNCH
1. Fun fizz NV LINDAUER ENLIGHTEN MOSCATO ROSÉ $15
At just 8.5 per cent, a great option when the urge for a glass of bubbles strikes. Vibrant with fresh berries and ripe grapey aromas, it’s a sweeter style, but the clean finish keeps it refreshingly balanced.
2. Racy riesling 2015 FELTON ROAD CENTRAL OTAGO RIESLING $35
A beauty from Central Otago. Bright, crunchy citrus fruit and delicate floral and mineral notes. The palate is pure, balanced and almost crystalline precise. Lucky it’s naturally low in alcohol (8.5 per cent) as it’s awfully easy to drink!
3. Great buy 2015 STONECROFT ‘CROFTERS’ HAWKE’S BAY SYRAH $22
Red wine (in moderation!) can be heart-healthy thanks to the antioxidant compounds found in the grape skins. Enjoy this softly fruited, spicy red with your next barbecue.
4. Light white 2016 STONELEIGH ‘LIGHTER’ MARLBOROUGH SAUVIGNON BLANC $15
Light bodied, crisp and balanced, this is a great example of lower-alcohol styles, retaining good flavour and character with tropical fruit notes and a herbal lift. Enjoy with fresh seafood.
5. Headache free 2015 SERESIN ‘OSIP’ ORGANIC MARLBOROUGH PINOT NOIR $28
If alcohol intake is not your concern but an SO2 (which stops wine becoming vinegar) allergy is, this organic red is just the solution. There’s no added sulphur but plenty of ripe red fruit and supple tannins. There’s a sauvignon blanc, too, and both are suitable for vegans.