PICK OF THE BUNCH
1. Splash out 2014 CHURCH ROAD TOM MERLOT CABERNET SAUVIGNON $200 A beautiful red, built to cellar and not priced for everyday drinking – a great reason to visit Church Road and sneak in a taste of TOM at the cellar door.
2. Lone star 2015 GRASSHOPPER ROCK CENTRAL OTAGO PINOT NOIR $30 This tiny Alexandra producer makes just the one wine – fragrant and juicy with wild strawberries, red liquorice and herbs. Visit to discover how the land and people shape a wine.
3. Sharp chard 2016 ATA RANGI CRAIGHALL CHARDONNAY $46 One of my absolutely favourite chardonnays, wonderfully balanced with a silky texture and great length. Ata Rangi’s laid-back yet personable cellar door also offers a glimpse of why Martinborough is such a special place to make wine.
4. Savvy buy 2017 BLACKENBROOK NELSON SAUVIGNON BLANC $18 Nelson wine is another great excuse to head to one of the country’s loveliest spots. Enjoy this zesty white on the Nelson waterfront with the freshest local seafood.
5. Island dream 2016 CABLE BAY WAIHEKE ISLAND VIOGNIER $34 A great day trip from Auckland, Cable Bay has wine, food, art and lovely people. Try the viognier with their fennel risotto.