Works blowout blamed on failings
Multiple systems failings are to blame for a $13 million budget blowout in a major roadworks project.
Auckland City Council has released a document of “learnings” from the Project Greenlane debacle.
It comes after chief executive David Rankin refused to publicly release an internal audit into the project in October.
The work to upgrade Great South Rd between the Greenlane motorway junction and the Harp of Erin is now expected to finish by June, a year behind schedule.
Costs spiralled to more than $32m from original estimates in 2005 of $18.8m.
The documents released on Friday blame an industrywide shortage of skilled and experienced people.
And it says difficulties were caused by “simultaneous, multiple systems failings, internally and externally”.
“Of all these systems, project management was the single biggest failing.”
The 19-page document details a string of mistakes, poor reporting of costs, a lack of accountability among managers, and unforeseen difficulties on site.
It says six months into construction, neither the council nor project managers knew the extent of the problem.
“It is known that something is seriously amiss, but not the magnitude of the problem,” the report says.
Last year the Central Leader reported concerns of businesses, who reported a drop in trade by up to 60 percent during the work.
The report says management of stakeholders was poor, with affected businesses objecting to dealing with contractors rather than the council.
The roadworks are still under way, with major work to reconfigure the corner of Campbell Rd and Great South Rd during the Christmas break.
Mr Rankin says “virtually every problem you could have” occurred during the Greenlane project.
He says major changes have been made in the transport department, including more permanent staff to replace contractors.
More work is being done on planning and budgeting projects before they start.
He says the Greenlane work is now being managed well.