Poi­soned bangers in re­serve

Central Leader - - News - By Janie Smith

Dog own­ers are be­ing warned to keep a close eye on their pets af­ter a sec­ond poi­soned sausage was found at Craigavon Park.

A dog’s stom­ach was pumped last week af­ter it ate a sausage laced with a blue sub­stance, be­lieved to be poi­son.

The prob­lem was first brought to the Auck­land City Coun­cil’s at­ten­tion by Mike Fish, whose dog Roxy had to be treated by a vet af­ter eat­ing part of a poi­soned sausage at the park in May.

The Block­house Bay res­i­dent has only been back to the park twice since the in­ci­dent and is an­gry to hear the poi­son­ing is con­tin­u­ing.

“I thought it was over. Some­one has got to sit up there and wait for them.

“If you don’t like dogs, don’t go to the park,” he says.

“It’s the tip of the ice­berg. It’s a very se­ri­ous thing. It might be funny for the guy but there are kids up there all the time.”

Parks ser­vices man­ager Mark Bowa­ter says an en­vi­ron­men­tal health of­fi­cer col­lected a sam­ple of the sausage and re­ferred the in­ci­dent to the po­lice and An­i­mal Con­trol.

The Auck­land Re­gional Pub­lic Heath Ser­vice is test­ing the blue pow­der found in the sausage and signs have been put up at the park to warn peo­ple.

The park was searched but no more sausages were found.

“Parks main­te­nance con­trac­tors will con­tinue to be vig­i­lant as they un­der­take main­te­nance ac­tiv­i­ties,” says Mr Bowa­ter.

The coun­cil says mem­bers of the pub­lic should not touch any food items seen in the park, but re­port them im­me­di­ately to the coun­cil so they can be re­moved to pre­vent pos­si­ble harm to the pub­lic and dogs.

Any­one with in­for­ma­tion about the sausages should con­tact the coun­cil on 379-2020.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.