Resthome gets the go-ahead
A resthome development in Three Kings has been given the green light after opponents dropped their case.
The Ranfurly Trust and Christchurch-based company Retirement Assets plan to redevelop the Ranfurly Veterans House.
Two objections to the plan were lodged with the Environment Court, but one party withdrew its appeal before the scheduled mediation and the other failed to turn up.
Retirement Assets chief executive Peter Cross says the Envi- ronment Court struck out the appeal and he received a letter from the court confirming its resource consent last Thursday.
“We have resource consent. We’re all clear now to start planning for construction and going into working drawings. We didn’t want to do that until we got consent.”
The resource consent has a number of conditions but Mr Cross says the developing parties were happy with them and didn’t appeal any.
The development will include a new aged care hospital, alterations to the existing Veterans House and a 177-unit retirement village with carparking.
The hospital will be built first, so people can be moved into it while the rest of the site is cleared and the retirement village built.
Mr Cross says coming up with the hospital’s final design and working drawings could take six months.
“We could be in a position of going to tender by November.”
If it all goes as planned, construction could start early next year.
“It’s pretty exciting really, we think it’s a great project,” says Mr Cross.
Residents had previously objected to the development’s height, the extra traffic it would generate, the removal of generally protected trees and its proximity to neighbouring apartments.
George Williams, who owns an apartment on Hillsborough Rd, submitted against the project last year.
He is resigned to the development going ahead and says he won’t try to sell the apartment.
“We’ve got tenants in at the moment. Who knows, in the long run it might actually raise the value of the properties.”