Occupants are lucky
Blackened windows and mattress springs and a burned out shell is all that is left of an Avondale house after it was swamped by flames earlier this month.
Ray Coleman of Auckland Fire Safety says three people were sleeping in the Racecourse Parade house when the fire broke out.
“It was a narrow escape,” he says.
Paula Tewheoro has lived at the address for two years and was in the house when the fire took hold.
“The flames were coming out like a dragon.”
The house had no sprinklers or smoke alarms, she says.
Ms Tewheoro’s partner Terrence Davern was not inside at the time, but in a garage nearby.
“Lucky no one was killed,” he says.
Mr Davern says one of the occupants jumped out a window to safety. “It’s absolutely devastating.” A neighbour called the fire brigade after seeing flames in the window.
The Fire Service was called about 1.30am and Mr Coleman says the blaze was under control relatively quickly.
He says the cause of the fire is suspicious and police are investigating.
Ms Tewheoro and Mr Davern say they are angry their landlord is still charging rent for the burned-out property.
“They are still charging us rent. Unbelievable,” she says.
Their landlord was unable to be reached for comment.
Detective senior sergeant Simon Scott says police conducted a scene examination and spoke to several witnesses and investigations into the fire are ongoing.
Anyone with information can call the Avondale’s Criminal Investigation Bureau on 8205700.