Fine time to remember bridge car ban
Private vehicles are continuing to use Grafton Bridge’s newly designated bus lane but are set to face a $150 fine if they keep flouting the law.
During the recent sevenday bus strike, 116 advisory notices were sent out to drivers whose vehicles crossed the bridge, though repeat offenders were only sent one notice.
Earlier this week, with buses back on the road, the Auckland City Council upgraded to warning notices, with 102 being sent out by Tuesday afternoon.
Last week council group parking manager Rick Bidgood told the Central Leader many drivers were probably confused over the status of the bridge because of the bus strike.
He says owners of private vehicles travelling over the bridge will soon face a $150 fine, which applies to anyone who drives in a bus lane around the city.
Pedestrians, cyclists, motorbikes and emergency vehicles are all permitted to travel over the bridge, when it’s designated as a bus lane from Monday to Friday between 7am and 7pm.
On a visit to the bridge on Tuesday the Central Leader counted 18 vehicles travelling over the bridge in a half hour period, compared with 23 at the same time the previous week.
“There are some opportunists using it,” Mr Bidgood says.
Turn to P3