Fire devastates school
GUY FAWKES hit May Road Primary School a day early this year and the result is grim.
Black soot now covers the Richardson Rd school’s administration block, as hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment went up in flames in the school’s resource room on Wednesday night.
Books, teaching resources and music equipment, as well as office and printing equipment, were all destroyed after a suspected Guy Fawkes vandalism.
“We think it was fireworks and we think someone threw fireworks into a fan,” principal Lynda Stuart says.
Ms Stuart says it was a fiveyear-old pupil who spotted the fire at about 6.45pm.
“There were people playing rugby on the field and the hall was hired out, so there were people around. She saw something was wrong and alerted her father who was in the school hall,” she says.
“He called the fire brigade and they arrived soon after.”
Even though the damage is extensive, Ms Stuart says she’s relieved that no one was hurt.
“It’s horrible and it’s awful. The kids are upset but the most important thing is we’ve got us. We can manage without books but not without people.”
The power was temporarily disconnected to ensure the blaze had been completely contained, as helpers busied themselves by preventing the spread of soot.
“The community has been amazing. There have been so many offers of help from parents but there is not a lot we can do until the damage gets assessed.”
Ms Stuart can recall two fires during her time at the school, one in 1990 and one on Christmas Day, 2006.
Although she says members of the school community are saying fireworks should be banned, she disagrees.
“I have fond memories of Guy Fawkes parties when I was a child,” she says.
“It’s not about banning fireworks but having proper parental supervision.
Turn to P3