Check up on your tradie

Central Leader - - NEWS -

Homeowners plan­ning ren­o­va­tions are be­ing ad­vised to make sure they use prop­erly reg­is­tered trades­peo­ple.

The Plumbers, Gas­fit­ters and Drain­lay­ers Board, which reg­u­lates the in­dus­try, is call­ing on Auck­land homeowners to ask plumbers, gas­fit­ters and drain­lay­ers for their li­cence cards to en­sure they are au­tho­rised to carry out the work.

Board chief ex­ec­u­tive Max Pedersen says it is il­le­gal for any­one to do plumb­ing, gas­fit­ting and drain­lay­ing un­less they are au­tho­rised to do so by the board.

‘‘We are re­mind­ing homeowners not to risk their fam­ily’s health and safety or their in­surance by hir­ing unau­tho­rised trades­peo­ple,’’ Mr Pedersen says.

‘‘Un­li­censed plumbers, gas­fit­ters and drain­lay­ers po­ten­tially place con­sumers in harm’s way with their poor skills. New Zealan­ders have the right to have con­fi­dence that any plumb­ing, gas­fit­ting or drain­lay­ing ser­vice pro­vided to them is safe and com­pli­ant.’’

Any­one car­ry­ing out plumb­ing, gas­fit­ting and drain­lay­ing must be able to pro­duce their li­cence card if asked.

Work wisely: Trades­peo­ple must have a li­cence card like this from the Plumbers, Gas­fit­ters and Drain­lay­ers Board be­fore do­ing any plumb­ing, gas or drain work.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.