Arson blamed for factory fire
The clean-up is well underway at a factory hit by a suspected arson.
Three fire appliances were called to the Renovation Group Plastic Recycling factory on Nielson St in Onehunga just before midnight on Sunday.
It took firefighters about three hours to dampen the blaze that is now being investigated by by the fire service and police.
Fire risk management officer Ray Coleman says it started among large sacks of plastic that were stacked outside the building.
‘‘Being plastic it was a very hot, fierce burn. A few of the factory windows have broken from the heat and a few spot fires got going inside.
‘‘Once it was put out we realised the plastic had melted into a big pile, which made things difficult.
‘‘Fire crews got there in the nick of time. Fortunately the damage was nowhere near as bad as it could have been.’’
He says the toxins given off in this type of fire make the job of putting it out even more dangerous for fire- fighters and could have put people at risk if it had been in a residential area.
Factory owner Daun Qu says it’s a good job nobody was in the building.
‘‘It sucks. I hate the people that did this.
‘‘It’s not the financial cost that is the issue,’’ she says.
She and her employees have spent the last two days cleaning up the mess and hope to get the factory opened again today.
Glen Innes Detective Baz Dahya is asking anyone who saw anything suspicious to come forward.
‘‘At the moment we are making general inquiries and looking at CCTV footage. There were some people hanging around at the time,’’ he says.
‘‘If you were passing by we would gladly accept any information.’’
Singed: A fire at a plastic recycling centre in Onehunga may have been deliberately lit.