Hip-hop dancers back to take on world
The biggest day on the annual hip-hop calendar is nearing and Palace Dance Studio is ready to show the world what they’ve got. Reporter Karina Abadia catches up with owner Parris Goebel and senior dancer Lance Savali as the studio prepares to defend its w
The Palace Dance Studio in Penrose has been racking up the awards at the World Hip Hop Dance Championships since it first participated at the Las Vegas event in 2009.
The studio has three groups competing at this year’s event from August 6 to August 11.
They are the all-ages mega crew The Royal Family, the junior division Bubblegum who range from 9 to 12, and the university division Sorority, who are aged 13 to 18.
The Royal Family and Bubblegum are the reigning world champions ( Central Leader, December 21, 2012).
Palace Dance Studio owner Parris Goebel says: ‘‘We just want to make sure we do our best and try not to expect anything. But at the end of the day we like to win. I don’t enjoy coming second.’’
Fourteen members of The Royal Family will stay on to give two performances of their show Skulls and Crowns. A Royal Invasion at a Los Angeles dance studio on August 18.
Lance Savali says he and many of the studio’s dancers hope to become back-up dancers one day so this is a big deal for them.
‘‘You can only try your best and see where it goes from there but it’s a big opportunity not only for me but all the other dancers involved,’’ he says.
The studio is gaining a profile in the United States and some of its dancers have already appeared in some major shows and music videos.
Ms Goebel returned last month after spending six months in Las Vegas where she helped put together the choreography for the Cirque du Soleil show Michael Jackson One.
Six members of the studio’s all-female group ReQuest are performing in the show.
‘‘It was a huge honour to help create the show. It was really challenging but it was good. I got heaps out of it,’’ she says.
Closer to home things have also been going well for the studio.
Ms Goebel took on the role of ambassador for Middlemore Foundation’s Kidz First children’s hospital in June.
‘‘It’s still early days but I’m really excited about it. I think a lot of youth are interested in dance so it’s a good match.’’
performed Murder on the Dancefloor to sell-out crowds at Vodafone Events Centre in June and intends to take it around New Zealand later this year.
Ms Goebel says she puts their success down to their team dynamic.
‘‘The vibe we have here in the studio is different. We are the underdogs and we are from a country where you wouldn’t expect to find this kind of talent.
‘‘On top of that everyone here is driven and hungry to do something with it. I think that is the perfect recipe for success.’’
Go to centralleader. co.nz to watch a video of Murder on the Dancefloor. Gearing up: Palace Dance Studio owner Parris Goebel and senior dancer Lance Savali.