Fire sheds light on hot safety topic

Central Leader - - NEWS -

A num­ber of lessons can be learnt from a house fire that left a man in hos­pi­tal, a fire in­ves­ti­ga­tor says.

An el­derly man was treated for smoke in­hala­tion and burns to his hands af­ter the fire at a Rock­field Rd, Pen­rose, house in the early hours of Fri­day morn­ing.

‘‘Un­for­tu­nately he has left it a bit late to get out. If you’re in a fire get out as quickly as you can,’’ se­nior fire risk man­age­ment of­fi­cer Rus­sell Dick­son says.

He says the ac­ci­den­tal fire started in the kitchen and spread to the rest of the house.

‘‘The dam­age is se­vere, it’s to­tally gut­ted the kitchen and got­ten into the roof. The house is un­in­hab­it­able.

‘‘There was a smoke alarm in the house, but it had no bat­ter­ies. This high­lights the need to have a work­ing smoke alarm,’’ he says.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.