Check alarms

Central Leader - - NEWS -

A fire that se­verely dam­aged a Mt Al­bert house is a re­minder to en­sure you have work­ing smoke alarms. The fire ser­vice was called to the New North Rd house at 11.45am on Mon­day. Se­nior fire risk man­age­ment of­fi­cer and in­ves­ti­ga­tor Rus­sell Dick­son says the blaze was started by a bath­room ex­trac­tor fan. Neigh­bour Sean Tay­lor and other neigh­bours called 111. ‘‘There was thick black smoke bil­low­ing out the back of the house, you’ve never seen so much smoke,’’ he says. The fire wasn’t large but was burn­ing for some time be­fore the oc­cu­pants of the house no­ticed and the prop­erty has been left with a lot of smoke dam­age, Mr Dick­son says. ‘‘The amount of times we see th­ese kinds of fires . . . work­ing smoke alarms would save a lot of grief,’’ he says.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.